Sunday, February 28, 2016

What can I do to help?

Who are we to say we know the lesson that is to be judged from a parable.  The thing about parables is you can interpret them about five different ways.  Easily.

Today we discussed the young rich man.  I think we can learn more from him than we realize. How many of us would sell all that we have to give it to the poor?  If we have anything to sell maybe we are rich.  If we have hope for the future we can look forward to being rich one day.

 I have been annoyed at people lately because they seem to think that they aren't rich.  They look down on the homeless or those on government aid of any kind and see themselves as better. And at the same time they think those people don't need government aid.  Maybe they don't need as much aid as they are given but that's not your place to decide (unless maybe you're their social worker) You aren't better.  I'm not better.  They might be better because they are humble.

Who are you to say if someone has fancy clothes or shoes or electronics they make more than you?  They need shoes (that will last) they need clothes to cover themselves (they were on sale) and that fancy phone is for work and that tablet was a gift (Christmas bonus)  Sometimes people spend money differently than you do but that's not up to you to say that it's wrong.

Often I hear of people who don't want to give to the poor because "they deserve it" or "serves them right" or "they made bad choices and that's why they are in this position"  Maybe they did.  Maybe they didn't.  Who's to say if you had had their life options, knowledge and opportunities you would be different?  Maybe they were in foster care with no home longer than six months.  That equates to no home as soon as you're 18.  (can you imagine what your life would be like if you had never had any life lessons from your parents?) A lot of homeless people are veterans.  How do you handle PTSD? Never had it? They could get help if they wanted it?  Why don't you be the one to help them fill out the necessary paperwork?  Some homeless people are mentally challenged.  There aren't a lot of places that want to hire low skilled workers that don't look/sound/act "right". Some homeless people are down on their luck and can't seem to break the new barrier to getting a job again.  Some are homeless by choice but not very many.

Humans of New York had a prison section.  I could see how (most) got to the crime they got to.  Some people were desperate for food.  Some people the dealers in their neighborhood were the only people nice to them their whole life. Some of them couldn't escape their abuser which led them to desperation. Some, again, had PTSD. What can we do so that people don't get that desperate?  How do we help so people don't feel that desperate again?  The prison system works better when it's used for rehabilitation rather than punishment (although the 12 steps would be good for anybody). It's hard when no one wants to hire someone with a record which then puts them on the path to desperation again.

In trying to tell you that you should be more charitable I fear that I haven't been very charitable in this post.  It's because I care that I feel these things need to be said.  I hope that next time any of us see someone who is worse off than ourselves, we wonder: what can I do to help?

No comments:

Post a Comment